Introducing the little things, a weekly post on my latest inspirations and daydreams. I’ll share what’s on my mind (usually food), what I’m reading, listening to, or laughing about, my favorite kitchen tools, and anything else that makes me smile. My hope is just to send you a little weekly joy. Because it really is the little things in life, isn’t it?!
- I fell in love with baking cakes when I made a wedding cake for two of my best friends last summer. The planning process, which included a lot of Googling and a surprising amount of math, resulted in this six layer strawberry cake with Swiss buttercream frosting and also in the purchase of my three cake baking essentials. First, three six-inch round cake pans, which make for gorgeous, three-layer cakes with tall, dramatic slices. (Just be careful when adapting a recipe that only calls for two layers. Your bake time will be significantly shorter!) Second, a set of offset spatulas, which make me feel like a master of precision when crumb coating. And third, (hands-down the most fun part of making a cake), my TURNTABLE. Yes, you read that correctly, I use a spinning turntable to frost my cakes. And it is So. Much. Fun. Have I convinced you to make a cake yet?? Here’s a good one to start with.
- Have you ever fallen down the rabbit hole of looking for skincare products online? You type “skincare routine” into the search bar and are immediately confronted with 10 listicles telling you why you’ve been washing your face wrong for years and how these 10 products will transform your life. “Great,” you think, “I’ve been meaning to transform my life!” So you click on the serum that claims miraculous powers, 22 fragrant active botanical ingredients, and a glow so transcendent people will stop you on the street. “I must have it,” you think, and scroll down to the price, at which point panic ensues. One fluid ounce costs $185. “Surely if it’s that expensive, it must work,” you think. Ordering a bottle would reduce your bank account significantly (read: by half), but you HAVE to try it! You must know! Is this the secret solution, finally, to all your skin woes? So of course, you order a sample. You anxiously await it in the mail, and once it arrives, you treat the tiny canister like liquid gold. You follow the instructions, pressing the oil carefully into your face, breathing in its botanical musk, feeling certain you’ll wake up looking like Giselle, and climb into bed. Only to be told by your half-asleep partner, “you smell like Barbicide. And also cat pee.” Which settles the question of whether you’re willing to go broke for a full bottle. …In conclusion, my friends, may I remind you that these things are subjective. And while I am sold on using oil as a moisturizer (my teenage self rolls over in her proverbial grave), there are a million more affordable options. I’ve settled on this one, which may not be glamorous, but so far so good.
- Sam and I are going on vacation next week! We’re escaping the unrelenting grey of Minnesota to spend a few days basking on red rocks in the Arizona sun. Or at least, that’s what I imagine we’ll be doing, as I’ve never actually been to the desert! Daydreaming about our trip has ignited my general wanderlust, and I find myself taking little virtual vacations courtesy of home rental websites…I mean, who knew the coast of England looked like this?!
- Is there anything more lovely than a quiet morning? I’m a firm believer in getting up a little earlier than necessary, when it means you get to sit in solitude for a few minutes, wrapped in a blanket, watching the sun rise with a cup of tea in both hands. I’ve been longing for a desk ever since we moved here, and finally committed to this one, which I’ve positioned right beneath our huge, steel-framed 1930’s windows that overlook a garret. When the steam billows up in the pale half light of morning, I can easily convince myself I’m in Paris…
- As if we needed one more reason to love Michelle Obama, our beloved former First Lady went ahead and wished Barack a happy Valentine’s Day by doing this. My heart!!!
In the picture: glowy citrus bowl with Greek yogurt, cara cara orange, blood orange, raw pistachios, cacao nibs, and a drizzle of honey