- Remember last week when I rounded up my favorite poolside food reads? Well, I failed to mention Sweetbitter, Stephanie Danler’s 2016 novel about the deliciously dark underbelly of fine dining in NYC. It’s one of those books you read in a hazy few days, barely aware of your surroundings, completely engrossed in protagonist Tess’ terrible decision-making and her sultry descriptions of things like in-season tomatoes, wine, and tattooed bartenders. (Oh, and there’s a show now, too…)
- Did you know that Nina Simone‘s high school best friend also happened to be a pioneer of modern-day food writing in America?
- Few things make me happier than waking up to a clean house. There’s a sense of calm that emanates from a made bed, a clean counter top, a streak-free mirror. But when it comes to my purse, tidiness eludes me. Attempting to find my chapstick usually feels something like reaching into an uncharted abyss. I mean, why hasn’t someone designed a bag that just keeps things where you put them, instead of entangling everything you own into an amorphous, headphone-wire-knotted nightmare of doom? Does such a bag exist? I don’t know the answer to this question, but I do know that Marie Kondo, the reigning queen of life-changing tidiness magic, collaborated with Cuyana on a line of accessory bags and I am, as the kids say, here for it.
- Have you binge-watched the new Queer Eye on Netflix yet? If not: cancel your plans, pour yourself a glass of wine, and prepare to laugh, cry, and regain hope in humanity.
- *nerd alert* I’m one of those people who genuinely loved school. With the exception of a few high school years in which I actually believed myself physically incapable of getting out of bed, I genuinely looked forward to going to school every day. I miss all of it: the lectures, the note-taking, the all-nighters, the study sessions—luckily I discovered Food: A Cultural, Culinary History. A few sentences into each episode and I’m back in Grinnell’s ivy covered English building, opening up my notebook at the start of a lecture…
In the picture: smoothie bowl with mango, kiwi, coconut, chia, & violets