- Do you read Cup of Jo? I confess, it’s usually the site I automatically type into the search bar when opening my browser on a lazy day. One of my favorite features on the site is artist Mari Andrews, who whimsically illustrates the little nuances that make life funny. She always manages to make me smile while simultaneously reminding me to be kind and not take life too seriously.
- My kitchen is my happy place. I love putting the kettle on first thing in the morning, and opening the blinds to take in the (usually snowy) view. I’m a people–person, but mornings are my sacred alone time. I love puttering around in the quiet, watching the light change, breathing deeply, savoring the smell of coffee. Call me crazy, but I feel genuine love for the things in my kitchen: the slow-growing orchid that keeps me company at the sink, the blue and white china canister we keep our coffee in, the butter dish my mom gave me for Christmas (it’s technically a salt cellar, but if you know me, you know I definitely don’t have the patience to lift off a lid when I need salt). I hereby give you permission to treat yourself to something lovely for your kitchen, for those sacred mornings alone. Just you, your thoughts, and your butter dish.
- If this commercial doesn’t make you smile, I honestly don’t know what will! Here’s a song for your own spontaneous dance party. DO IT.
- I’ve always been a sucker for a makeover. Whether it’s in a movie (The Princess Diaries, hello?!!?) or real life (I used to cut people’s hair at summer camp–where I got the confidence, I have no idea–but somehow I always did an amazing job), I get such satisfaction seeing someone or something make changes that inspire more joy, more confidence. Needless to say, I love a good kitchen makeover. It doesn’t take much! My friend Emily and I had to beg our landlord to let us paint over the hideous faux wood in our rental kitchen in Boston, and once we did, it went from ’70’s nightmare to a cheerful, light-filled sanctuary. We went from avoiding it to spending most of our time there, sitting on the counter or the floor after a day’s work, cooking, talking, laughing uncontrollably… Here’s a kitchen makeover that will have you heading to the hardware store.
- Last Sunday, my sister and I sat on the couch and planned meals for the week. We wrote grocery lists (and then I organized them by store section, which, along with lint rolling my sheets, is one of my great obsessive joys in life…) We went to Trader Joe’s, and it was so fun to do together, even though it was the peak Sunday evening rush and you had to to approach the nut aisle with military precision. Somehow it’s little things like making grocery lists on the couch that remind me how grateful I am to live in the same city as my big sister. Here are three things I made this week, all of which were delicious and easy: Garlicky chicken thighs with scallion & lime, curried lentil soup with tomato and coconut, and mushroom soup.
In the picture: yogurt bowl with mango, pistachio, cacao nibs, honey